POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7 example scenes : Re: v3.7 example scenes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7 example scenes
From: Chris Cason
Date: 21 Sep 2008 22:20:39
Message: <48d700f7@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> I did change ALL distro scenes that called any glass textures the old way.

I think you missed woodbox.pov then:] (either that or I didn't update
it for some reason).

> Are you talking about a personal scene that someone created with application
> version less than 3.7? I thought that the error that the parser would throw

Basically any pre-existing scene. With upgrades to POV-Ray we've
always had a policy of not breaking pre-existing scenes except where
absolutely necessary. So we ought to provide backwards compatibility.
Technically there's probably no reason why both schemes can't live
alongside each other.

> if (version < 3.7)
>   make them textures
>   issue I_Glass warning
> else
>   make them materials
> end

While I'd like to see a warning issued, the problem would be that
anyone with a pre-3.7 scene loading the include file (even if they
don't use the glass textures) would get the warning ... I expect some
scenes out there do include files that they don't use, and would thus
get this warning. Also, anyone running an old scene without a #version
set would get a parse failure on the missing textures.

I think we need to provide both for the meantime. Perhaps we also then
need something like the 'deprecated' warning that is available in
compilers; we can declare something deprecated (via SDL) and if it is
used in a scene the parser spits out a warning.

-- Chris